Here are some tips and techniques I’ve created, discovered and/or refined during the years I’ve been quilting. Of course, there is no ‘one right way’ to do anything. These techniques work for me, and I hope you can find some that will work for you, too.
- Create a portrait pattern from a photo
- Constructing and quilting a portrait quilt
- Dying fabric with tea and coffee
- My NEW favorite quilt facing technique
- My technique for making quilt labels
- Tutorial – “Two Trees” fusible applique block pattern
- Squaring up a quilt, using Pellon 1″ grid
- Making a custom, portable ironing surface
Links to great techniques written by others:
- Rose Hughes’ Fast-Piece Applique technique – video tutorial here
- Quilting options by Megan from Canoe Ridge Creations as guest poster on Sew Sweetness
- 31 days of walking foot quilting by Norma at Petit Design Co.
- Free motion quilting tips by Leah Day at The Free Motion Quilting Project
- Free motion quilting tips by Geta Grama at Geta’s Quilting Studio
- A great fusing method by Terry Grant at AND SEW IT GOES
Binding and Facing:
- Binding calculator from Quilter’s Paradise
- Applying binding by machine, by Janet at What Comes Next?
- Joining binding strips, by Janet at What Comes Next?
- A video on joining binding strips, by C&T Publishing
- Faux piped binding tutorial, by Trisha a TLC Stitches
- Another great quilt-facing technique by Victoria at The Silly Boodilly
- A quilt-facing technique with an intriguing method to reduce bulk at corners by Kathleen at Art With a Needle
- Another approach to quilt-facing (aka knife-edge binding) by Anita at Bloomin’ Workshop
Methods for Hanging Quilts:
- How to make a quilt sleeve, from Quilts Inc., the folks who produce the International Quilt Market and Festival in Houston and other cities
- How to make a hanging sleeve (aka rod pocket) by Sarah Anne Smith
- An easy alternative to a sleeve for a mini quilt – corner pocket tutorial by Laurraine at Patchwork Pottery
- A roundup of clever methods for hanging quilts from Mary Burns at Martingale
- Hanging quilts with 3M Command Strips, by Shirley Wooten on Ellen Linder’s blog
- Scrappy lone-star quilt block, by Janice at better off thread
- How to wrap a canvas with fabric, by Linda Matthews
- How to store a quilt by Dena Crain
- Easy organizing solutions by Alejandra – how to organize just about everything!
Color and design:
- Color scheming on the computer by Maggie Maggio | Smashing Color